The Market: The Russians Take Couture Week
The Russians rule the Paris streets.
By now, we're pretty well-acquainted with the frequently photographed Russian fash pack—namely, Miroslava Duma, Anya Ziourova, Elena Perminova, who we gave the TC treatment to with Salvatore Ferragamo on Fashion's Night Out, and designers Ulyana Sergeenko and Vika Gazinskaya (stay tuned!)
Thanks in part to the watchful lens of Tommy Ton, their style has resonated with us because they manage to make outrageous pieces look unbelievably wearable, while still maintaining a certain playfulness that keeps their look far from calculated. If Anna Dello Russo can be counted on for her over-the-top theatricality, playing on fantasy fashion at it's most extreme, these girls are the ones we look to for a more (slightly!) grounded, yet still experimental approach to style.
“Streetstyle photographers look for prints. They look for some crazy shoes and they look for some chic/huge necklaces,” Duma revealed. (Note to self: overpack the above for fashion week!)
“The streetstyle photographers are now quite spoiled but in a good way with attention,” Ziourova told us. “Now you really need to impress the photographer because people like Anna Dello Russo raised the bar to be so extravagant. I feel like people started dressing a little bit more towards the extravagant and the look-at-me style. I think it’s about being bold and out there.”
But style comes so naturally for these girls, which is precisely our fascination. And, yet, they put little/no thought into it… or so Ziourova claims. “I never plan what I wear; I just throw it on when I need to go out,” she said. “I wish I had more time to take care of my outfits, but I think I’m doing okay; I just follow my instincts and dress how I feel that day.”
And while the group kind of became most notably cemented as a thing last September during the spring shows, their presence was equally palpable at the recent couture shows. The snow and sleet of Paris called for plenty of serious statement outerwear and dramatic headwear with ornate details. Let this serve as a precursor to fashion month, where the girls will be sure to be bringing their A-game next.
Shop the Story
- Rachel Zoe Fox Trim Knit Cap $400.00 -SHOP-
- Michael Michael Kors Chain-trimmed cotton-blend cardigan $195.00 -SHOP-
- Clare Vivier Fold Over Suede Clutch $109.20 -SHOP-
- Milly Lace Coat $495.00 -SHOP-
- Tibi Silk-Faille Skirt $525.00 -SHOP-
- J. Crew Crystal Color Mix gold-plated glass stone Necklace $128.00 -SHOP-
- Miu Miu Emroidered slipper style loafers with embellished heel $455.00 -SHOP-
- Kenneth Jay Lane Gold-plated cabochon clip earrings $155.00 -SHOP-
- Burberry London Classic Trench $1995.89 -SHOP-
you may also like
- On Crossing Over To The Not-So-Dark-Side.
Shop the brightest looks for S/S '13.
- As cliché as it sounds, these sisters really are more than just a pretty face.
- The dress that got around.
10 Items. 10 Reasons. Read Up.