THE MARKET: Small Structured Bags
Because sometimes, bigger isn't always better.
The regime of all things oversized may officially be over.
While we're hardly about to denounce our Cov-alum's proclivity for all things super-sized (Birkins, Balenciaga Motorcycle bags, the bling, etc.), we've noticed a definitive shift towards smaller, more structured bags. From the streetstyle shots that have surfaced from recent fashion weeks to our own time spent digging through the closets of their subjects, even big bag's biggest devotees are going streamlined for spring… and we have evidence!
And really, is there a more authoritative arbiter on accoutrements than Louis Vuitton? In the house's "Small Is Beautiful" short, released late last year, starring Hanneli Mustaparta, Elin King and Miroslava Duma, we witnessed the beginnings of a major movement as we watched the trio travel Paris unencumbered by the bothersome oversized satchels of yore. From Lanvin's quilted mini Pop to Shourouk's clear and tortoiseshell bejeweled bags, almost all of our favorite labels are making mini's of their mainstays. We've seen shrunken versions of Phillip Lim's Pashli, Proenza Schouler making holographic wristlets of their ubiquitous PS11 and Jason Wu has almost always produced perfectly ladylike, bite-sized bags. Even those who worship at the altar of Phoebe Philo can downsize; the designer has been forever making Nano and Micro editions of her most sought-after handbag designs.
While we're all for practicality, we really doubt that we (because hey, we're guilty of this too) all need to be toting around totes filled with wadded-up receipts and long-redeemed gift cards. There's something slightly more low-key (and chic!) about a sleeker, smaller handbag… and for us, the boxier and more structured, the better.
This season, we're planning on doing some serious spring cleaning and splurging. Out with the old and oversized and in with the small and structured. (PS: By out, we don’t mean ditch or donate, we simply suggest putting it in that dark corner of your closet until further notice.) So, you with us or what?
Shop the Story
- Reed Krakoff Standard Mini textured-leather shoulder bag $590.00 -SHOP-
- Jason Wu Jourdan textured-leather shoulder bag$1,795.00 -SHOP-
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Phone In A Box leather shoulder bag$260.00 -SHOP-
- Pierre Hardy Color-block suede shoulder bag$795.00 -SHOP-
- Tory Burch Robinson Mini Cross Body Bag$325.00 -SHOP-
- Rebecca Minkoff Quilt Mini Affair Bag$195.00 -SHOP-
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Mini Pashli Satchel $590.00 -SHOP-
- Alexander Wang Small Emile Satchel $995.00 -SHOP-
- NastyGal Daisy Mini Satchel $78.00 -SHOP-
you may also like
- Test-driving product your Mom always advocated.
- Say my name. Say my name.
- Although we dreaded compulsory reading in our younger days, we've since warmed up to a good classic... and are even wearing 'em too.
The Coveteur’s guide to getting tattooed.